The Lindsay Cupboard

Colinsburgh Galloway Library

Entrance Porch

Entrance Porch

In September 2017 a ‘home’ was established for the books and records of the Clan Lindsay Society in the local library of the village of Colinsburgh in Scotland.

Colinsburgh village has strong Lindsay connections having been established by Colin Lindsay, 3rd Earl of Balcarres, over 300 years ago and situated close to Balcarres House on the Lindsay Estate of Balcarres. Lord Crawford, who lives at Balcarres House with his son Lord Balniel, has shown great support for the Library, as has Lady Balniel who graciously serves as one of the volunteer assistant librarians.

Iona, Diarmid and Robin with a copy of the “Lives of the Lindsays” showing the Library book-plate. – photo by Lady Balniel.

Iona, Diarmid and Robin with a copy of the “Lives of the Lindsays” showing the Library book-plate. – photo by Lady Balniel.

Robin (Lord Crawford) visited the Library earlier this year (2018), with his daughter Lady Iona, and presented a book and some old documents to add to the collection.

The ‘Lindsay Cupboard’ is maintained by Diarmid Lindsay, Editor of the Clan Lindsay Society, .who lives locally and he welcomed Robin to the Reading Room with coffee and a chair by the blazing log fire.



The Galloway Library was established in 1903 as part of the Thomas Carstairs Galloway bequest. Galloway, born in 1846, was a linen merchant who lived in the nearby village of Kilconquhar and died at the end of the nineteenth century. He left a large trust fund to benefit the village of Colinsburgh and the surrounding area. As well as establishing the library, the trust fund also provides an allocation to help the local poor and a prize for the best pupil at the local school.

Galloway Library_(2)

In the past, Secretaries of the Society have had difficulty in storing all the records and books. The concept of finding a ‘home’ to store all this material in one place has been under consideration for many years by the Society. In 1947 the ‘Lindsay Home Fund’ was established with a view to acquiring or renting premises, possibly at Gladstone Land on the Royal Mile in the centre of Edinburgh, for this purpose. However, in 1997 the idea was dismissed as being unaffordable and the fund was discontinued, “but the dream never died”.

Now the records are stored in ‘The Lindsay Cupboard’ along with standard texts such as the “Lives of the Lindsays”, the “Land of the Lindsays” and the “Publications of the Clan Lindsay Society”.  In addition, sets of Bulletins and Secretary’s Newsletters are available to view, with the availability of a limited number of back editions for sale to Members. Some of the records have already been digitised and are available in CD-ROM format for sale. More digitised material will be available soon from the Editor who is also engaged in converting VHS video and audio tapes into digital format.

Reading Room and 'Lindsay Cupboard'

Reading Room and ‘Lindsay Cupboard’

A copy of the inventory can be obtained by contacting the Editor directly by e-mail or via the Society website. Any Lindsays travelling in this area are encouraged to try and visit the ‘Lindsay Cupboard’ and enjoy the facilities of the Reading Room, free Wi-Fi and a welcoming cup of coffee.

Who will be next to sign the Visitors Book?

Please contact a Member of The Clan Lindsay Society prior to your visit to ensure the premises will be open for you.

– by Diarmid Lindsay