David, son of Ierome Lindsay of Annatland– Unanswered Questions

Home Forums Members Only Forum David, son of Ierome Lindsay of Annatland– Unanswered Questions

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JosephMountVa 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jflinds
    Participant

In America there is some wonderment relative to Rev. David Lindsay, Bishop of Ross (1530-1613); his son-in-law Rev. John Spottiswoode Jr., Archbishop of St. Andrews and Primate of Scotland (1565-1639) who in 1589 married David Lindsay’s daughter Rachel; and specifically about David’s grandson, who is Spottiswoode’s nephew, or rather the newphew of his wife.

There are two bio’s on each of the elder men (the grandfather and the uncle). The first are in the Scottish Church FES*, Vol.1, pages 160 and 176. The second are in the book “Fathers of Kirk.” edited by R. S. Wright, where each gets a chapter. (No bio is known of for the grandson/nephew.)

In David’s bio in the FES there is comment that David had a grandson in Virginia, also named David (via his son Jerome) who was baptized by his grandfather on Jan.3 1603 at South Leith Parish Church (SLPC), and died 1667 in Northumberland Co. VA. Grandson David went to VA c.1652 from Bristol as an organizer of a group of settlers, for which he received land. His tombstone says he was a minister in the Church of England and also had a Doctorate in Divinity. The tombstone also tied grandson David to Rev. David Lindsay in Leith.

The wonderment here in the USA is what did grandson David do after 1621 when he graduated from Saint Andrews University? Young David seems not to have had a public career in Leith or anywhere else in Scotland. Spottiswoode went down with James and was in London for at least some time in the service of the King. Both he and David went down with James to get the Crown. He (John Spottiswoode) made at least 50 trips from Scotland to England, and he was commissioned by the King to write a history of the Church of Scoland from the Reformation forward. He retired in 1638 and died in 1639.

How reasonable is it to speculate that grandson David was in the service of his uncle. He certainly doesn’t seem to have been in Scotland. Is it reasonable that David’s honors with the Church of England had to do with his uncle’s work on behalf of the crown to assimilate the Church of Scotland with England? Is there a church record of the granting of those honors to nephew David, i.e. of his induction as a clergyman into the Church of England? Where would we look for these records?

So we have it that grandson David was baptized in 1603, that he graduated Saint Andrews in 1621, that he was allegedly a minister of the gospel with there being no evidence of position or assignments throughout the normal course of a man’s career, no documentary evidence of him for any of the years of the prime of his life. Nothing about him seems ever to have made it into mainstream scholarship. His progeny receives scant and very imprecise coverage in The Lives, possibly because there is greater interest in the offspring of Jerome by his second wife Agnes, The Lady of the Mount.

Why would a man with such credentials end up in Bristol, so far from Scotland? Did his arrival in Bristol correlate in any way with the death in 1639 of his Uncle? Was this a bug-out? Was this an escape from religious and civil unrest? Was he in fact in Leith previously, and now in Bristol distancing himself from the plague of 1645? Had he been in Bristol for some years already? His daughter Helen married into the Bristol Maritime establishment.

Might there be some extant family records somewhere for Sir Jerome that could shed some light on these mysteries?

*Fasti Ecclesiae Scotieanae, it is a record of all ordained ministers in the Church of Scotland beginning with the reformation. It is continued today, currently the volumes are a stack of books at least 3 feet in length. Volume one was published in 1928.

JosephMountVa
    Participant

JosephdeClanMuster
    I Found a bit in ‘L.of America’ stating that a record shows a HUGH LEE importing four persons in 1652, one of which was a DAVID LINDSAY. That of course is the year within the frame of time we think the Rev. David arrived.
    I know this doesn’t help with the gap in his history we are looking for.
    I did relocate also in a list of men who accompany James VI south to collect his new Crown, the name of Barnard Lindsay of Lochhill, Drum,and Craigballe. But that was not the bit saying the Bernard stayed and died in London. As I remember 1668. I will keep looking.

JosephMountVa
    Participant

JosephdeClanMuster
    I Found a bit in ‘L.of America’ stating that a record shows a HUGH LEE importing four persons in 1652, one of which was a DAVID LINDSAY. That of course is the year within the frame of time we think the Rev. David arrived.
    I know this doesn’t help with the gap in his history we are looking for.
    I did relocate also in a list of men who accompany James VI south to collect his new Crown, the name of Barnard Lindsay of Lochhill, Drum,and Craigballe. But that was not the bit saying the Bernard stayed and died in London. As I remember 1668. I will keep looking.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  JosephMountVa. Reason: Some window came up saying that I should try again later. I did and now we have two copies, and I can't seem to delete one.!!!

JosephMountVa
    Participant

I think that between Ira and myself and Joe, we have answered the question of “where is Lochhill and Annatland.
    Also after re-reading ‘Church in the Mist’ by Dr. Marshall, it is shown that Bernard Lindsay’s widow makes a payment to insure she is buried next to him under the floor of the Lindsay Isle. All indicates that his body was returned from London for burial in St. Mary’s Church of So. Leith as was Rev. David’s.

JosephMountVa
    Participant

In the post showing the importation of persons by HUGH LEE, it should read MR. DAVID LINDSAY. Note the MR. This show a person with a degree, and we know that Rev. David had a doctorate from St. Andrews. Also his future father-in-law was associated with that university at the time.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  JosephMountVa.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.